How to Get Married in Buffalo

I got married last Thursday! December 12th was the big day. (We liked the sound of 12/12/13 and figured it would be an easy anniversary to remember.)

I was adamant that we keep the event as stress-free as possible, and I’m happy to say we accomplished that. There were a total of six people in the room: Paul and I, his parents, the officiant, and a photographer. Here’s what we didn’t have: a bridal shower, bachelor/bachelorette party, or a gift registry.


How did we do it? Read on.

1) Find a location. We originally planned to get married at City Hall, but we found the designated “marriage room” depressing. (It’s basically the size of a large closet, painted white, with a few decorations hung on the wall.) We knew we could come up with something better.

We ended up holding the ceremony at The Mansion on Delaware. Since we had already booked a room to stay overnight (and our ceremony was taking place at 2pm on a Thursday), they let us hold our ceremony there for free.


2) Choose a photographer. Since we decided on a small ceremony, I knew I needed someone to take photographs so I could share them with family and friends. Mark Miller from HMNI Photography was recommended to me and I’m so glad we went with him — Mark did an excellent job, and I’m so happy with the results.


3) Choose an officiant. Our contact at The Mansion on Delaware sent us a list of people they’ve worked with in the past. Dave was one of them. We met with him for about 15 minutes a few weeks before the ceremony (at no additional cost), so we weren’t meeting him for the first time the day-of. Dave is extremely nice, personable, and professional.

Here we are with Dave after the ceremony ended.


4) Get your rings. It took us about 10 minutes to pick out Paul’s ring at the first jewelry store we walked into. I ordered mine from Mervis (a DC/VA/MD-based jewelry store where Paul bought my engagement ring), since I wanted the settings on the two rings to match.


5) You will need something nice to wear. Paul has a number of nice suits so he wore one he already owns. No tux needed.

I purchased six dresses online (returned five of them) and three pairs of shoes (returned two of them). I was happy not to have to search in a store. Total for both the dress and shoes: $330.


The coat looks like I bought it to go with my dress, right? Well…no. I actually purchased it on sale YEARS ago but had never worn it. I almost got rid of it a few times — of course I’m so glad I hung onto it. I never would have gone out and bought an ivory coat just for this occasion, but they went together perfectly.

After the ceremony, we went back to my in-law’s house to eat wedding cake. Isn’t it gorgeous?

Wedding cake!

We had dinner that evening at Tappo — it was my first time there and I really enjoyed it. I had Wedding Soup to start and Basil Prawn Risotto for my entree (both were delicious).

Here are some additional photos taken before, during, and after our wedding ceremony. (NOTE: There are many more photos in my Flickr photoset!)

The real-feel on Thursday was in the negative digits. Our photographer told us to sit on a bench and “look cold.” We said we wouldn’t have to pretend.


Standing on the front steps of the Mansion:


I cried during the ceremony:


We had Paul’s parents do a reading:


All married couples have to look out a window together, right?


Sharing a kiss while walking down Delaware Avenue:


Our wedding day went down exactly as planned. I’m so glad we did it this way.

Posted on by Zan in Buffalo 29 Comments